Privately Rented Accommodation

This is a picture of a house

We have updated the information relating to renting privately.  You can view the new information here.

There is a good supply of privately rented accommodation in Powys and properties are available in most areas. Renting privately offers: 

  • Choice - a range of accommodation exists with flats and apartments being more readily available in some areas and houses in others
  • Flexibility - you choose which areas you want to consider
  • Speed - properties are available now
  • Furnished and non-furnished properties are available


What is the average rent price for a property in Powys?

Average rent prices can be seen on the StatsWales website

Can I afford it?

If you are on a low income, you may qualify for Housing Benefit to help you pay the rent. For further information please contact the Council's Benefit Section. Remember that you will also have to pay other bills such as gas, electricity and water - use the budget planner, benefits calculator or other useful tools and resources to help make sure that you can cover these costs.

Download Open Office software by clicking here.

Will Housing Benefit fully cover the rent?

The maximum amount of Housing Benefit that can be paid depends on the size of the property that your household needs and is set by Local Housing Allowance rates. Please note that you may not receive the maximum amount as your household income and savings will be taken into account to assess your Housing Benefit claim.

What if I can't afford to pay a bond?

If you are homeless, or threatened with homelessness, and do not have savings or access to money to pay a bond, Powys County Council's Housing Department may be able to help. They will assess your housing needs and, if you meet the criteria for help, may be able to offer the landlord a bond guarantee certificate. The criteria are strict and the fund is limited and only available if you are living in Powys.

For more information contact the Housing Service on 01597 827464 

If you are not able to get help with a bond but are in receipt of qualifying benefits you can apply for a Social Fund Budgeting Loan. This is a tax free loan and no interest is charged but you do have to pay the loan back. Please contact 0800 389 0271 for further information.

Remember: If you pay a cash bond to a landlord they must protect it under one of the Government's authorised tenancy deposit schemes and tell you within 14 days of receiving it which scheme they have used. If you have any dispute with your landlord always seek advice.

How long will I be able to stay?

Tenancies are generally 'assured shorthold' for 6 or 12 months. They can usually be extended if you haven't breached the terms of your tenancy agreement. As always, contact an advice agency if you need help.

How can I find a property?

Visit websites Zoopla and Rightmove to find details of private properties available to rent in Powys.

The Landlord Accreditation Wales website provides details of landlords who are accredited and should therefore provide well managed accommodation.

Use the links below to find available properties now!