Housing Options - Council and Housing Associations (RSL) Accommodation

This is a picture of a house

Anyone aged 16 or over can apply for Housing but you should consider the following:

  • Where you want to live - are there Council or Housing Association properties in that area?
  • How long will you have to wait?
  • Would renting privately suit you better?
  • What are the differences between Council and Housing Association tenancies?

Did you know?

As of 1st January 2017:

No. of households on the common housing register: 1839

No. of households in Band 1: 18

No. of households in Band 2: 63

No. of households in Band 3: 1236

No. of households in Band 4: 290

No. of households in Band 5: 232

How do I apply?

Powys County Council now have a Common Allocation Scheme which applies to everyone waiting for Powys County Council housing including council property lettings.

If you are looking for housing in Powys, the first step is to contact one of our First Contact Officers on 01597 827464 or call into your local council office. They will have a chat about your circumstances and assess whether you are eligible to go onto our waiting list.

In order to be given priority onto the housing register, you must be in housing need and ready to move. If accepted, your case will be referred to a Housing Management and Options Officer who will register your details and agree with you whether social housing is the right option for you. All options will be considered to find the solution which is best for you.

Common Allocation Scheme Policy

Common Allocation Scheme Procedure


Who can apply?

Anyone aged 16 or over can apply for housing although certain groups may not be eligible. These include:

• certain people from abroad

• if an applicant has previously been evicted or found guilty of unacceptable behaviour this will be taken into account when considering their housing options



I have applied - how long will I have to wait?

People are often surprised at how few properties the Council and Housing Associations now have and how long the waiting list is. The property availability calculator provides information to help people who have applied for housing decide whether renting from the Council/Housing Associations is right for them at the moment. This includes details of:

• The areas where the Council has properties

• The number and type of properties in an area

• The number of lettings made in the various areas of the county

Have a look at the information to help you decide what you want to do.

Do you need an adapted property?

For Council properties, please contact Powys County Council Adaptations Team on 01597 827464

For Private accommodation, please contact Care and Repair 

Are you an existing Council or Housing Association Tenant?

Did you know that if you wanted to move you can swap homes?

Powys County Council have partnered up with swapandmove a website which allows for secure tenants to register and search for people who want to swap home with them.

As an existing tenant using the mutual exchange system to get a move can often be quicker than waiting on the housing waiting list for a council property to come empty. Any tenant who wants to move to a different location or to a different size property should register on the website.

It is free to use and the more people who are on there the more opportunities there are to find the right home.

Simply click on the above link, register your details and look for swaps, all free of charge!


Download Adobe Reader by clicking here.

Home Page

Accommodation Menu


Powys Common Allocation Scheme

In November 2014 a new common allocations scheme was implemented and applied to all council housing stock.

Since then, discussions with housing associations across the county have been progressing and arrangements are being made to implement a common housing register from November 2015.The housing associations that will be joining the register are: Newydd HA, Mid-Wales HA, Wales and West, Grwp Cynefin, Melin Homes, Clwyd Alyn and Gwalia.

To find out more or to apply for housing in Powys, please ring 01597 827464 or call into one of our local area offices.

Alternatively call in at Newydd's offices at St David's House, New Church Street, Newtown between 9am - 3pm Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday.

If you require housing/money advice, Newydd are also running a Housing Surgery at their offices in Newtown between 9am and 3pm every Tuesday.

Local Area Housing Offices

Telephone: 01597 827464

Please ask for your nearest area office;

Brecon Neuadd Brycheiniog, Cambrian Way, Brecon,
Powys. LD3 7HR

The Gwalia, Ithon Rd, Llandrindod Wells,
Powys. LD1 6AA

Newtown *Non-public facing building*

Unit 39, Vastre Industrial Estate, Newtown, Powys. SY16 1DZ

Welshpool Neuadd Maldwyn, Severn Road, Welshpool,
Powys. SY21 7AS

Ystradgynlais Hendreladys, Brecon Rd, Ystradgynlais,
Powys. SA9 1SE