Financial Assistance

Pound Coins

You may be able to get some financial assistance to do up an empty home. It is worth looking into this possibility, However, it is Important not to rely on getting Financial Assistance to do the work.


Financial Assistance for Energy Efficiency

There are lots of different Energy Efficieny schemes that run for limited times and operate in specific arears. You won't be able to apply for a large amount of money but every little helpts. The best place to find funding is the on the Energy Saving Trust's Website


Houses into Homes

The Welsh Assembly Government has recently launched its 'Houses into Homes' initiative. This initiative will make funding available to property owners to assist them in bringing long term empty properties back into use. One of the ways the funding will be spent is by offering an interest free loan to vacate property owners.

To apply for a loan you much be the owner of a property which has been empty for a minimum of 6months. You can apply for a maximum of £25,000 per unit to carry out repairs or improvements to enable you to sell or rent the property. There will be a loan application fee and you will be required to demonstrate your ability to repay the loan within a set period of time. They repayment period will be determined by how the property will be used. If you sell the property you will be required to pay the loan at the end of 2 years. If you rent the property you will need to repay the loan at the end of 3 years. 

If you are interested in being considered for a loan or require further information regarding the terms and conditions please contact the Private Sector Housing Team on 01597 827464.


Assistance For Historic Buildings

If the home you are intending to rescue is listed, in a conservation area, or has some historical importance you may be able to apply for financial assistance to help rescue it. Try the Conservation Team at your Local Authority or CADW, the historic environment service of the Welsh Assembly Government.


Landlord Loan Assistance

Financial assistance may also be available through low interest loan schemes such as Robert Owen Credit Union or through Powys County Councils Landlord Loan Scheme.